Tips for Selecting a COVID-safe Early Childhood Education Provider
Advice from a local expert on what Frisco-area parents need to know as they navigate COVID-19 concerns when selecting childcare
Under normal circumstances, parents have a lot to think about when it comes to selecting an early childhood education provider for their family. This year, parents are also looking at additional COVID-19 safety concerns as they choose the right environment for their child. Working parents need to return to their regular schedules and selecting a safe and reliable childcare provider is an important step in that process. What do parents need to keep in mind as they consider their options? What safety protocols should early childhood education providers have in place?
The good news is that research suggests that early childhood education centers do NOT fuel the spread of COVID-19 in communities where appropriate safety protocols are in place.
Meghan Moi, the Executive Director of Creative World School in Frisco, has worked in early childhood education for 17 years. During that time, parents have had to contend with many challenges when it comes to selecting child care — but the pandemic has added in new safety concerns. Moi shares some practical tips and information on what questions parents should be looking for in a prospective child care provider when it comes to health and safety.
Moi says, “Prospective parents can and should ask about daily COVID-19 safety protocols in place for both students and staff. I encourage parents to tour our school so they can see for themselves how the staff is implementing our COVID-19 safety protocols. There should be a detailed, consistent list of precautions and policies in place that the whole team is following.”
Moi shares the precautions she and her team have in place at Creative World School Frisco:
- We have a cart in the vestibule with a thermometer, sanitizer, and masks to check everyone’s temperature before entering the building every morning.
- We require our staff to participate in a COVID-19 safety training that provides the latest information on how to keep their classroom, themselves, and the children safe from any exposures.
- We offer incentives to our staff to get vaccinated.
- All staff wear masks at all times.
- We sanitize surfaces multiple times throughout the day.
- We wash all employee uniform smocks every night.
- If a child displays any signs of illness, they are separated immediately from the class and sent home. Children must have a doctor’s note and/or negative COVID-19 test and be 24 hours symptom-free in order to return to school.
- Our classroom ratios are well below Texas state ratios, so teachers and children have ample space in their classrooms.
- We do not allow unnecessary, outside visitors into the school.
- At the end of each day, we do an extensive cleaning of the classrooms and common areas throughout the school.
- Once a month, we have a company come in to deep clean the school beyond the daily and nightly cleaning that is already being done.
Successful early childhood education experiences always require a true partnership between families and school staff. Moi advises, “Open communication, transparency, and trust are more important than ever in early childhood education. I want to assure families that despite the changes we’ve had to make to our environment due to COVID-19, our teachers are still planning days full of fun and engaging activities and our students are enjoying learning and playing in their classrooms.”
About Creative World School Frisco
Located at 4915 Coit Road, Creative World School Frisco features age-specific classrooms, an indoor gym, and a playground with specialized equipment and activities for each age group. The centerpiece of each Creative World School is a large central atrium space known as the Exploratorium™. This unique room is where new and exciting experiences are created for the children every day. Educational themes are refreshed monthly and focus on STEAM based activities of Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math. Visit our website or call (972)335-3565 to schedule your tour today!